The University College Ibadan (UCI) opened on 18 January 1948 with a total of 104 students distributed into three Faculties, namely Arts, Science and Medicine. The temporary take-off site was an old site previously used by the 56th Military General Hospital at Eleyele, about eight kilometres away from the present site.
In February 1948, the University of London allowed Ibadan its special relationship scheme. The formal opening of the College took place on 25 March 1948. Arthur Creech Jones, then British Secretary of State for the Colonies, turned the first sod at the permanent site of the University College, on 17 November 1948, which became the University's Foundation Day.Read More